CIPS Intelligence: help
CIPS Intelligence – Frequently asked questions Return to help categories
- As a CIPS member do I have to pay to download a PDF from CIPS Intelligence?
Downloading a purchasing and supply management document or any open content within CIPS Intelligence is included as a CIPS membership benefit and for which there is no additional charge.
To download content from the other management disciplines there is a nominal charge of £1.99 or cost effective monthly or annual subscription rates made possible by the CIPS / KnowledgeBrief collaboration. This provides CIPS members with the option to access a far wider array of management content with the flexibility and convenience of saving a document for their own records and reference.
- Can I access CIPS Intelligence from my mobile?
Yes. CIPS Intelligence is accessible from internet enabled mobile phones. Go to http://cipsintelligence.cips.org for access from internet enabled mobile phones.
- How can CIPS Intelligence support my CIPS Continuing Professional Development (CPD)?
CIPS members can record one CPD hour for reading a CIPS Intelligence download that displays a CIPS CPD icon. Go to http://www.cips.org to access the CIPS CPD system to record your learning.
- How do I pay for a download?
Click on the download link and follow the step by step instructions. You will need a valid credit or debit card to complete your transaction.
- How do I pay for a subscription?
Select your subscription option when prompted and follow the step by step instructions. You will need a valid credit or debit card to complete your transaction.
- How do I submit content I think should be included in CIPS Intelligence?
- How much does it cost?
Access to Open content within CIPS Intelligence is free of charge to all. No log-in is required to access Open content.
Accessing all other content
Cost for CIPS Members
CIPS members of any grade can access and download all open content and procurement and supply management content free of charge. For CIPS members, the cost per download in other management areas is charged at £1.99 per download.
Alternatively, to get unlimited downloads of other management disciplines CIPS Members can pay a subscription fee of £9.99 per month with a minimum subscription of 12 months or £99.99 per annum.
These considerably reduced prices for CIPS members are being made available through a special collaboration between CIPS and KnowledgeBrief
Cost for Non-CIPS Members
Open Content is accessible to all free of charge and for a subscription fee of £49.99 per month with a minimum subscription of 12 months or an annual subscription fee of £499 non-CIPS members can gain unlimited access and unlimited downloads of all other content within CIPS Intelligence.
- How secure is the payment mechanism within CIPS Intelligence?
Your payment is processed via Sage Pay which is encrypted using 128-bit SSL certificates. Please visit http://www.sagepay.com/security_policy for full details of Sage Pay’s security policy.
- I am a CIPS member, how do I subscribe to unlimited downloads of the other management disciplines?
Follow the ‘Access Options’ link from the front page and sign up using a credit or debit card.
- I am a journalist and want to access information on P&SM. How do I do this?
If you are a member of CIPS you will have membership access. If not, you can subscribe as a non-member to CIPS Intelligence.
- I do not want to become a CIPS member. Can I still access CIPS Intelligence?
Yes, a non-member can access CIPS Intelligence. Non-CIPS members can access all Open Content free of charge. If they wish to see all content within CIPS Intelligence they have two options:
- Become a CIPS Member and get access to all procurement and supply management content as a membership benefit, then pay per download or subscribe monthly or annually.
- Take out an annual subscription to CIPS Intelligence and pay either monthly or annually.
- I was a member of CIPS. My membership has ceased. Whilst I was a member I took out an annual subscription to access the wider management disciplines within CIPS Intelligence. Now that my CIPS membership has ceased, will I still be able to access CIPS Intelligence?
Yes you will be able to access CIPS Intelligence for the remaining period of your CIPS Intelligence subscription.
- If I want to cancel my subscription to CIPS Intelligence, how do I do that?
Within 7 days of purchase you have the opportunity to cancel your subscription with a full refund. The minimum term for a monthly or annual subscription is 12 months. At the end of this period your subscription will automatically renew. You will receive a notice prior to the end of your subscription, giving you the option to end your subscription.
- If my CIPS Membership lapses, will I still be able to access CIPS Intelligence?
If you have not subscribed to CIPS Intelligence you will not be able to access the Purchasing & Supply Management content. Your access will be limited to Open content only.
If you have taken a monthly or annual subscription to CIPS Intelligence you will always have access until the end of your subscription period.
- I’d like to cancel my CIPS Intelligence monthly /annual subscription and get a refund. How do I do this?
Aside from downloading concepts on a pay as you go basis, the Terms and Conditions for subscription state that within 7 days of purchase you have the opportunity to cancel your subscription with a full refund. The minimum term for a monthly or annual subscription is 12 months. At the end of this period your subscription will automatically renew. You will receive a notice prior to the end of your subscription, giving you the option to end your subscription.
- I’m a CIPS Intelligence user. I have another question that isn’t covered here. How can I get an answer?
- I’m a CIPS Member. How do CIPS members access CIPS Intelligence?
CIPS Members can access CIPS Intelligence from the CIPS website by clicking on http://www.cips.org/resources
CIPS Intelligence uses the same log-in as MyCIPS. If a CIPS Member is already logged in to MyCIPS, they will automatically be logged in to CIPS Intelligence.
If they aren’t already logged in to MyCIPS, CIPS Members can log-in to CIPS Intelligence directly using their Membership ID and MyCIPS password.
- I’m not sure my payment for CIPS Intelligence went through correctly. How can I verify that it did?
You will receive an email notification that your subscription has been successful and that payment has been approved.
- What is a key business concept?
CIPS Intelligence is based around key business concepts. A concept is a technique, approach or method used in business. With hundreds of concepts available in the toolkit, each is categorised as operational, managerial or strategic and in terms of the competencies any organization needs to master.
The concepts in CIPS Intelligence cover procurement and supply management and the wider management disciplines covered in MBA courses. Drawing on the best practitioner and academic sources, each concept summarises the essentials of what you need to know about a subject to be effective in your professional life – the definition and background, examples of real world use by companies, showing the results obtained. There is advice, with steps, on how you might implement such a concept yourself. Strengths and weaknesses of each concept are examined and trusted resources are provided for further research. Concepts are presented in a unique and consistent format making understanding and comparison quick and easy.
Each of the hundreds of concepts contain the following:
- Overview: The definition and background of a concept ensures that you are looking at something relevant for you, whilst outlining its origins and development.
- Business Evidence: Examines the respective strengths and weaknesses of a concept succinctly. The analysis of real world use by companies showing the results obtained demonstrates practically what the concept can achieve.
- Business Application: Guidance on effective implementation of the concept to an organisation whilst outlining the success factors and measures needed to produce the desired result.
- Further Resources: For that concept, further information that will enable you to fully understand all of the finer points relating to the concept.
- What is CIPS Intelligence?
CIPS Intelligence is a comprehensive online knowledge and information resource that covers key business concepts from both procurement and supply management as well as wider management disciplines.
- What is CPD?
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is the means by which professionals maintain and enhance their knowledge and skills. CIPS encourages its members to participate in CPD.
- What is Open content?
Open content includes CIPS Positions on Practice, models and access to other freely available content on purchasing and supply management.
- What type of content is in CIPS Intelligence?
There are three types of content within CIPS Intelligence:
- Open content
- Purchasing and supply management content
- Content covering other management disciplines as follows:
- Strategy and planning
- Marketing and Sales
- Human resources
- What’s in the other management discipline areas?
The wider management disciplines contain hundreds of key concepts that underpin any MBA course, providing high quality overviews looking at the following disciplines:
- Strategy and planning e.g. Competitive intelligence, Inrapreneurship, Strategic alignment and many, many more…
- Marketing and Sales e.g. Brand loyalty, Digital marketing and Pricing models…
- Operations e.g. Lean production, Pareto analysis, Six sigma and Time to market
- Human resources e.g. Arbitration, Psychometric testing, Talent management and more
- Technology e.g. Artifical intelligence, Enterprise architecture, Information management
- Finance e.g. Break-even analysis, Gearing ratio, Zero based budgeting and many more…
- What’s in the Purchasing and supply management content?
The purchasing and supply management section of CIPS Intelligence contains hundreds of key procurement concepts for you to read and/or download. Some examples are Sustainable procurement, Procurement and supply management outsourcing, Agile supply and many more.
- Where are the resources I used to link through to before CIPS Intelligence was introduced?
Content previously available within the Resources area of the CIPS website has been refreshed, updated and incorporated into the Procurement and Supply management section of CIPS Intelligence. Further content from trusted and high quality sources has been added to provide essential information and insights into wider management disciplines.
- Who are the sources of content in CIPS Intelligence?
Each concept in CIPS Intelligence draws on the best and most relevant academic and practitioner focused sources to provide a balanced overview. We draw on the finest academic journals such as the Harvard Business Review and quality-focused business publications such as the FT and Economist.
- Who is CIPS?
The Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply (CIPS) is the world’s largest procurement and supply professional organisation. It is the worldwide centre of excellence on purchasing and supply management issues. CIPS has over 65,000 members in 150 different countries, including senior business people, high-ranking civil servants and leading academics. The activities of purchasing and supply chain professionals have a major impact on the profitability and efficiency of all types of organisation and CIPS offers corporate solutions packages to improve business profitability. CIPS has offices in the UK, Southern Africa and the MENA (Middle East North Africa) region. http://www.cips.org
- Who is KnowledgeBrief?
KnowledgeBrief is a company that helps managers and firms to drive up performance by learning about and applying proven management techniques. They help executives to learn about management so they can innovate and lead performance improvement in their organization.
They offer three services:
- Executive development programmes
- Management innovation networks
- Business management resources
- Who provides the news feeds?
The news feeds draw items from a global news source that reference purchasing and supply management. CIPS and KnowledgeBrief are not responsible for the content provided by external parties.
- Why can’t I claim CPD hours for the online reading I do of CIPS Intelligence?
CIPS members can record one CPD hour for reading a CIPS Intelligence download that displays a CIPS CPD icon. Each key concept contains an overview, information on its business application and implementation, details of applicable tools, case studies, further and wider reading. Downloading content provides evidence to support your recording of CPD hours.
- Why can’t I claim for learning gained from reading the open content within CIPS Intelligence?
CIPS members can record one CPD hour for reading a CIPS Intelligence download that displays a CIPS CPD icon. The reason that CPD hours can’t be claimed for other CIPS Intelligence content is that key concept downloads contain an overview, information on its business application and implementation, details of applicable tools, case studies, further and wider reading.